Monday, November 29, 2010

abcdefghijklmno..Pee

You guessed it.. I put in my first urinary catheter recently!! (Well, maybe you didn't guess it).  Talk about an experience.  It was on a male, if you were wondering.  There are probably thousands upon thousands of these put in everyday, but I still get excited that I have done it.  I know it's not the most glamorous subject, but I'm not sure anything about nursing is.  OH, and for those of you who dont know what a catheter is, it is a plastic tube that is gently slid into a patient's bladder via his or her urethra. Catheterization allows the patient's urine to drain freely from the bladder for collection. 
At least they asked nicely...




Anyone who I have talked to about this has been pretty grossed out... especially the guys.  I usually get people making the face as if they're listening to nails on a chalkboard or something similar.  I'm not sure how it actually feels because I have never had one. I can imagine it feels very uncomfortable, though.

All in all it was just a little personal victory for me.  One more skill checked off my 'skills list', but one that I was pretty nervous about.  Now I can quit making jokes about needing someone to practice on.  It was fun while it lasted.  

Are finals over yet?  One semester down.  Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment